> Wait...whoah, hold
> on.<br>If snapshots reside within the confines of the
> pool, are you saying that dedup will also count
> what&#39;s contained inside the snapshots? I&#39;m
> not sure why, but that thought is vaguely disturbing
> on some level.

> point) but I have this probably naive and foolish
> belief that snapshots (mostly) oughtta reside on a
> separate physical box/disk_array...&quot;someplace
> else&quot; anyway. I say &quot;mostly&quot; because I
> s&#39;pose keeping 15 minute snapshots on board is
> perfectly OK - and in fact handy. Hourly...ummm,
> maybe the same - but Daily/Monthly should reside
> &quot;elsewhere&quot;.

IMHO, snapshots are not a replacement for backups.  Backups should definitely
reside outside the system, so that if you lose your entire array, SAN,
controller, etc., you can recover somewhere else.  Snapshots, on the other
hand, give you the ability to quickly recover to a point in time when something
not-so-catastrophic happens - like a user deletes a file, an O/S update fails
and hoses your system, etc. - without going to a backup system.  Snapshots are
nice, but they're no replacement for backups.