I agree, and said so, in response to:

> You seem to be confusing "snapshots" with "backup".

To which I replied:

No, I wasn't confusing them at all. Backups are backups. Snapshots however,
do have some limited value as backups. They're no substitute, but augment a
planned backup schedule rather nicely in many situations.

Please note, that I said that snapshots AUGMENT a well planned backup
schedule, and in no way are they - nor should they be - considered a
replacement. Your quoted scenario is the perfect illustration, a
user-deleted file, a rollback for that update that "didn't quite work out as
you hoped" and so forth. Agreed, no argument.

The (one and only) point that I was making was that - like backups -
snapshots should be kept "elsewhere" whether by using zfs-send, or zipping
up the whole shebang and ssh'ing it someplace...."elsewhere" meaning beyond
the pool. Rolling 15 minute and hourly snapshots....no, they stay local, but
daily/weekly/monthly snapshots get stashed "offsite" (off-box). Apart from
anything else, it's one heck of a spacesaver - in the long run.