Hi,

> .. it's hard to beat the convenience of a "backup file" format, for
> all sorts of reasons, including media handling, integration with other
> services, and network convenience.

Yes.

> Consider then, using a zpool-in-a-file as the file format, rather than
> zfs send streams.

This is an interesting suggestion :-)

Did I understand you correctly that once a slice is written, zfs won't rewrite
it? In other words, I can have an infinitely growing pile of these slices, and
once zfs fills one file up (or one "raidz2" set of files), I flush it to
tape/optical disk/whatever, and zfs won't change it "ever after"? When I need
more space, I just add more slices, but old slices are effectively read-only?

Or did I misunderstand how you meant it work? It sounded very interesting but
my understanding on zfs is currently limited :-)

And perhaps most importantly: has anyone actually done this for their back-ups
and has success stories on restore after media failure?

Regards,
Lassi