On 20/01/2010 11:26, Joerg Schilling wrote:
Edward Ned Harvey<sola...@nedharvey.com>  wrote:

Star implements this in a very effective way (by using libfind) that is
even
faster that the find(1) implementation from Sun.
Even if I just "find" my filesystem, it will run for 7 hours.  But zfs can
create my whole incremental snapshot in a minute or two.  There is no way
star or any other user-space utility that walks the filesystem can come
remotely close to this performance.  Such performance can only be
implemented at the filesystem level, or lower.
You claim that it is fast for you but this is because it is block oriented and
because you probably changed only few data.

If you like to have a backup that allows to access files, you need a file based
backup and I am sure that even a filesystem level scan for recently changed
files will not be much faster than what you may achive with e.g. star.

Not really - I mean if you do an incremental zfs send and on the other side receive it so a filesystem/snapshot is created then you have an access to each individual file while having the benefit of doing block level incremental zfs send which in many environments will be waaaaay faster then rsync/start/...

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com