>>>>> "jr" == Julian Regel <jrmailgate-zfsdisc...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

    jr> While I am sure that star is technically a fine utility, the
    jr> problem is that it is effectively an unsupported product.

I have no problems with this whatsoever.

    jr> If our customers find a bug in their backup that is caused by
    jr> a failure in a Sun supplied utility, then they have a legal
    jr> course of action. The customer's system administrators are
    jr> covered because they were using tools provided by the
    jr> vendor. The wrath of the customer would be upon Sun, not the
    jr> supplier (us) or the supplier's technical lead (me).

We were just talking about this somewhere else, actually: ``if
something goes wrong, its their ass. but if nothing ever gets done,
its nobody's fault.''  It's sad for me how much money is to be made
supporting broken corporate cultures like that.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you might not want to
contribute to such a culture because you've chosen to endure it for a
scratch.  You need to have a better way to evaluate employees than
micromanagement-by-the-clueless and vindictive hindsight.  But the
point that there's money to be made by bleeding it out of ossified
broken American companies is well-taken.

    jr> From the perspective of the business, the system administrator
    jr> will have acted irresponsibly by choosing a tool that has no
    jr> vendor support.

From the perspective of MY business, I would much rather have the dark
OOB acl/fork/whatever-magic that's gone into ZFS and NFSv4 supported
in standard tools like rsync and GNUtar.  This is, for example, what
Apple achieved with CUPS and why I can share printers between Ubuntu
and Mac OS effortlessly, and this increases the amount of money I'm
willing to give Apple for their proprietary platform.  The purpose of
the tool I'm discussing definitely includes the same level of
cooperation, so working with the existing best-in-class and
most-popular tools, and reasonableness, might be better than brittle
CYA support in some fringey '/opt/SUNWbkpkit/bin/VendorCP -Rf' tool.

Even if you get your cyaCP tool you may find it doesn't achieve the
ass-covering you wanted because these tools can be cheeky little
bastards.  Most of the other quirky little balkanized-platform
Solaris-only tools are littered with straightjacketing assertions to
avoid ``call generators'' and push the blame back onto the sysadmin,
then there is some ``all bets are off'' flag to allowe you to actually
accomplish job, like 'NOINUSECHECK=1 format -e'.

Honestly...why bother playing this game?