On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 06:39:25PM -0500, Frank Cusack wrote:
> On January 23, 2010 5:17:16 PM -0600 Tim Cook <t...@cook.ms> wrote:
>> Smaller devices get you to raid-z3 because they cost less money.
>> Therefore, you can afford to buy more of them.
>
> I sure hope you aren't ever buying for my company! :) :)
>
> Smaller devices cost more $/GB; ie they are more expensive.

Usually, other than the very largest (most recent) drives, that are
still at a premium price.

However, it all depends on your budget considerations.  Budget applies
not only to currency.  You may be more constrained by available
controller ports, motherboard slots, case drive bays, noise, power,
heat or other factors.

Even if it still comes back to currency units, adding more ports or
drive bays can easily outweigh the cost of the drives to go on/in
them, especially in the consumer market. There's usually a big step
where just one more drive means a totally different solution.

If you're targetting total available space, small drives really do
cost more for the same space, when all these factors are counted.
That's what sells the bigger drives, despite the premium.

The other constraint is redundancy - I need N drives (raidz3 in the
OP's case), the smaller size is "big enough" and maybe the only way to
also be "cheap enough".

--
Dan.