I do not know if this has anything to do with some of the problems you're
seeing.  however, there is definitely an issue using /some/ LSI controllers on
Supermicro boards.  I just rencetly had an issue with using LSI3442 (the next
gen over the 1068E chipset) on a Supermicro MB (X8DTN-6).  Anyhow, if the LSI
board is in the system, the drives are recognized and everything works.
HOWEVER, if you have to use the SATA CD-rom/DVD drive - it will not boot from
the drive.   For whatever strange reason, supermico and I determined that it
just didn't like the LSI SAS Controller in the system which caused this.  We
have no idea why a SAS controller would affect a SATA boot. . .

Another issue we have found is the latest x8dtn board does not play nice with
the latest release of Solaris (at least for us).  It will work fine up to
snx129.  However 131 (or upgrading from 129 to 131) will fail on boot after
GRUB.  It'll just cycle/reboot at that stage over and over.

Not sure what the issue is between 129 and 131 but that is what we've found on
our Supermicro MB and the latest OpenSolaris version.