> It may depend on the firmware you're running. We've
> got a SAS1068E based
> card in Dell R710 at the moment, connected to an
> external SAS JBOD, and
> we did have problems with the as shipped firmware.

Well, I may have misspoke.  I just spent a good portion of yesterday upgrading
to the latest firmware myself (downloaded from SuperMicro's FTP, version
1.26.00 also; after I figured out I had to pass the -o option to mptutil to
force the flash since it was complaining about a mismatched card or some such)
and I thought that the machine had locked up again later in the day yesterday
because I couldn't ssh into the machine.

To my surprise though, I was able to log into the machine just fine this
morning directly on the console from the command line.  It seems the snv_125
bug with /dev/ptmx bit me (the "error: /dev/ptmx: Permission denied" problem
that required me tracking down the release notes for snv_125 to figure out the
problem) and the server was happy otherwise.  More importantly, the zpool
activity had all finished and I have three clean spares again!  Normally this
amount of I/O would have totally killed the machine!

So somewhere between upgrading the firmware to the latest version and upgrading
to snv_131, it looks like the problem may have actually been addressed.  I'm
guardedly optimistic at this point, given the previous problems I've had so far
with this on-board controller.

Interesting to hear someone else with the same chip but on an expansion card
has no problems (but was with the on-board chip).