"David Dyer-Bennet" <d...@dd-b.net> wrote:

> When I was first in the industry, in 1969, it was fairly normal to only be
> able to connect DEC disks to a PDP-11; but even then there were
> third-party manufacturers making products and customers buying them.  Now,
> forty years down the road, computers are constructed from mostly generic
> components.  The disk drive is one of the ones that went generic first.
> It's absurd that we can't handle small enterprise storage on
> standards-compliant drives at this point.

If a company advertizes for being SCSI or SATA compliant, you need to be able to
connect every drive that is compliant to the standard. If this is not the case,
you can (in Europe) give the machine back to the seller.

I remember how ever a case ~ 14 years ago, where Seagate did sell SCSI disks
that did not handle tagged command queing and disconnect/reconnect correctly.
As a result, machines with these drives did hang. Sun at the same time did
sell drives with Sun specific firmware that have been OK.

Around 1990 we (H.Berthold AG - at that time second biggest Sun OEM) did also
sell disks with specific firmware that we ordered from the manufacturer after
we did run into problems with standard firmware. We also did sell disks to our
customers for more than the "street price" and the customers did get extra value
for this.

If you buy an unapproved disk, things should work, but if you get in trouble
later, you may have to hire experts that help you to prove _which_ company
did give you the defective hardware or system as only this company would need
to give warranty help.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin