On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Jacob Ritorto <jacob.rito...@gmail.com>wrote:

> It's a kind gesture to say it'll continue to exist and all, but
> without commercial support from the manufacturer, it's relegated to
> hobbyist curiosity status for us.  If I even mentioned using an
> unsupported operating system to the higherups here, it'd be considered
> absurd.  I like free stuff to fool around with in my copious spare
> time as much as the next guy, don't get me wrong, but that's not the
> issue.  For my company, no support contract equals 'Death of
> OpenSolaris.'

OpenSolaris is not dying just because there is no support contract available
for it, yet.

Last time I looked Red Hat didn't offer support contracts for Fedora and
that project is doing quite well.

So please be a little more realistic and say "For my company, no support
contracts for OpenSolaris means that we will not use it in our
mission-critical servers". That's much more reasonable than saying the whole
project is jeopardized.

It's useless to try to decide your strategy right now when things are
changing. Wait for some official word from Oracle and then decide what your
company is going to do. You can always install Solaris if that makes sense
for you.

--
Giovanni Tirloni
sysdroid.com