On Friday 12,March,2010 12:02 PM, Erik Trimble wrote:

In general, I would heartily agree with Russ, in that the 8-port LSI-based PCI-E cards are very, very well worth the price. I'm a satisfied user of the Marvell-based PCI-X cards, too (at least, since the 2009.06 release).

That all said, I've had good experiences with the SiliconImage chips, though that experience has been limited to the PCI/PCI-X versions (3114/3124). They definitely are lower-end, though - I've never tried hot-swapping a drive attached to a SilIm controller.

As a user of el-cheapo US$18 SIL3114, I managed to make the system freeze continuously when one of SATA cable got disconnected. I am using 8 disks RAIDZ2 driven by 2 x SIL3114 System is still able to answer the ping, but SSH and console are no longer responsive, obviously also the NFS and CIFS share. The console keep sending "waiting for disk" loop.

The only way to recover is to reset the system, and as expected, one of the disk went offline, but the service is back online in degraded ZFS pool.

I was using  EON 0.59.9 based on snv_129

OTOH, I also never had any "sudden death" hard disk problem. All of my disk failure were either based on the ZFS checksum failure or increasing error counts from the SMART report. Based on that, it is enough to log RMA call to Seagate using RMA code "Hardware RAID making SeaTools test not possible".