Edward Ned Harvey <solaris2 <at> nedharvey.com> writes:

> Allow me to clarify a little further, why I care about this so much.  I have
> a solaris file server, with all the company jewels on it.  I had a pair of
> intel X.25 SSD mirrored log devices.  One of them failed.  The replacement
> device came with a newer version of firmware on it.  Now, instead of
> appearing as 29.802 Gb, it appears at 29.801 Gb.  I cannot zpool attach.
> New device is too small.
>
> So apparently I'm the first guy this happened to.  Oracle is caught totally
> off guard.  They're pulling their inventory of X25's from dispatch
> warehouses, and inventorying all the firmware versions, and trying to figure
> it all out.  Meanwhile, I'm still degraded.  Or at least, I think I am.
>
> Nobody knows any way for me to remove my unmirrored log device.  Nobody
> knows any way for me to add a mirror to it (until they can locate a drive
> with the correct firmware.)  All the support people I have on the phone are
> just as scared as I am.  "Well we could upgrade the firmware of your
> existing drive, but that'll reduce it by 0.001 Gb, and that might just
> create a time bomb to destroy your pool at a later date."  So we don't do
> it.
>
> Nobody has suggested that I simply shutdown and remove my unmirrored SSD,
> and power back on.

We ran into something similar with these drives in an X4170 that turned out to
be  an issue of the preconfigured logical volumes on the drives. Once we made
sure all of our Sun PCI HBAs where running the exact same version of firmware
and recreated the volumes on new drives arriving from Sun we got back into sync
on the X25-E devices sizes.