On Mar 31, 2010, at 8:58 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

>> We ran into something similar with these drives in an X4170 that turned
>> out to
>> be  an issue of the preconfigured logical volumes on the drives. Once
>> we made
>> sure all of our Sun PCI HBAs where running the exact same version of
>> firmware
>> and recreated the volumes on new drives arriving from Sun we got back
>> into sync
>> on the X25-E devices sizes.
>
> Can you elaborate?  Just today, we got the replacement drive that has
> precisely the right version of firmware and everything.  Still, when we
> plugged in that drive, and "create simple volume" in the storagetek raid
> utility, the new drive is 0.001 Gb smaller than the old drive.  I'm still
> hosed.
>
> Are you saying I might benefit by sticking the SSD into some laptop, and
> zero'ing the disk?  And then attach to the sun server?
>
> Are you saying I might benefit by finding some other way to make the drive
> available, instead of using the storagetek raid utility?

Assuming you are also using a PCI LSI HBA from Sun that is managed with
a utility called /opt/StorMan/arcconf and reports itself as the amazingly
informative model number "Sun STK RAID INT" what worked for me was to run,
arcconf delete (to delete the pre-configured volume shipped on the drive)
arcconf create (to create a new volume)

What I observed was that
arcconf getconfig 1
would show the same physical device size for our existing drives and new
ones from Sun, but they reported a slightly different logical volume size.
I am fairly sure that was due to the Sun factory creating the initial volume
with a different version of the HBA controller firmware then we where using
to create our own volumes.

If I remember the sign correctly, the newer firmware creates larger logical
volumes, and you really want to upgrade the firmware if you are going to
be running multiple X25-E drives from the same controller.

I hope that helps.

--
Stuart Anderson  ander...@ligo.caltech.edu
http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/~anderson