On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 08:33:40PM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

>>    re> Please don't confuse Ethernet with IP.
>>
>> okay, but I'm not.  seriously, if you'll look into it.
>>
>> Did you misread where I said FC can exert back-pressure?  I was
>> contrasting with Ethernet.
>>
>> You're really confused, though I'm sure you're going to deny it.
>
> I don't think so.  I think that it is time to reset and reboot yourself
> on the technology curve.  FC semantics have been ported onto ethernet.
> This is not your grandmother's ethernet but it is capable of supporting
> both FCoE and normal IP traffic.  The FCoE gets per-stream QOS similar to
> what you are used to from Fibre Channel. Quite naturally, you get to pay
> a lot more for the new equipment and you have the opportunity to discard
> the equipment you bought already.

Yeah, today enterprise iSCSI vendors like Equallogic (bought by Dell)
_recommend_ using flow control. Their iSCSI storage arrays are designed
to work properly with flow control and perform well.

Of course you need a proper ("certified") switches aswell.

Equallogic says the delays from flow control pause frames are shorter
than tcp retransmits, so that's why they're using and recommending it.

-- Pasi