On 6/11/2010 3:03 AM, joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de wrote:
Alex Blewitt<alex.blew...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Jun 11, 2010, at 10:43, Joerg Schilling wrote:
As explained in depth in a previous posting, there is absolutely no
legal
problem with putting the CDDLd original ZFS implementation into the
Linux
kernel.
You are sadly mistaken.

  From GNU.org on license compatibilities:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
What you read there is completely wrong :-(

The FSF even knows that it is wrong as the FSF did never sue Veritas
for publishing a modified version of GNU tar that links against
close source libs from veritas.

The best you can do is to ignore it and to ask independent lawyers.

I encourage you to read my other post that in depth explains why the FSF
publishes incorrect claims.

Jörg

I don't want to restart something here on this list - I just wanted to make sure that the original developers understood that there are very possibly issues using CDDL code in conjunction with GPL'd code. If they are indeed using OpenSolaris ZFS code, then they at very minimum should consult an IP lawyer to get the OK.

End of this Discussion.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support