On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Alex Blewitt <alex.blew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You are sadly mistaken.
>
> From GNU.org on license compatibilities:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
>
>        Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL), version 1.0
>        This is a free software license. It has a copyleft with a scope
> that's similar to the one in the Mozilla Public License, which makes it
> incompatible with the GNU GPL. This means a module covered by the GPL and a
> module covered by the CDDL cannot legally be linked together. We urge you
> not to use the CDDL for this reason.
>
>        Also unfortunate in the CDDL is its use of the term “intellectual
> property”.
>
> Whether a license is classified as "Open Source" or not does not imply that
> all open source licenses are compatible with each other.

Can we stop the license talk *yet again*

Nobody here is a lawyer (IANAL!) and everyone has their own
interpretations and are splitting hairs.

In my opinion, the source code itself shouldn't be ported, the
CONCEPTS should be. Then there's no licensing issues at all. No
questions. etc.

To me, ZFS is important for bitrot protection, pooled storage and
snapshots come in handy in a couple places. Getting a COW filesystem
w/ snapshots and storage pooling would cover a lot of the demand for
ZFS as far as I'm concerned. (However, that's when a comparison with
Btrfs makes sense as it is COW too)

The minute I saw "ZFS on Linux" I knew this would degrade into a
virtual pissing contest on "my understanding is better than yours" and
a licensing fight.

To me, this is what needs to happen:

a) Get a Sun/Oracle attorney involved who understands this and flat
out explains what needs to be done to allow ZFS to be used with the
Linux kernel, or
b) Port the concepts and not the code (or the portions of code under
the restrictive license), or
c) Look at Btrfs or other filesystems which may be extended to give
the same capabilities as ZFS without the licensing issue and focus all
this development time on extending those.