On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 01:22:15PM -0700, John wrote:
> Wouldn't it be possible to saturate the SSD ZIL with enough
> backlogged sync writes?
>
> What I mean is, doesn't the ZIL eventually need to make it to the
> pool, and if the pool as a whole (spinning disks) can't keep up with
> 30+ vm's of write requests, couldn't you fill up the ZIL that way?

Depends on the workload of course, but we have 50+ VM server
environments running off of 22x1TB SATA + 32GB Intel X25-E SSD's with
no problems whatsoever.  I don't have the zilstat numbers handy, but
we're not pushing enough I/O for the slog device to even come close to
sweating.

Note that our VM's are in a LabManager environment and can spun up and
down to do compiles mostly, not pushing huge amounts of non-random I/O.

Ray