On 9 déc. 2010, at 13:41, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

>> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
>> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Edward Ned Harvey
>>
>> Also, if you have a NFS datastore, which is not available at the time of
> ESX
>> bootup, then the NFS datastore doesn't come online, and there seems to be
>> no
>> way of telling ESXi to make it come online later.  So you can't auto-boot
>> any guest, which is itself stored inside another guest.
>
> Someone just told me about
>       esxcfg-nas -r
> So yes, it is possible to make ESX remount the NFS datastore in order to
> boot the other VM's.  The end result should be something which is faster
> than 1G ether, but not as fast as IB, FC, or 10G.

I've got a similar setup running here - with the Nexenta VM set to auto-start,
you have to wait a bit for the VM to startup until the NFS datastores become
available, but the actual mount operation from the ESXi side is automatic. I
suppose that if you played with the startup delays between virtual machines you
could get everything to start unattended once you know how long it takes for
the NFS stores to become available.

Combined with send/recv to another box it's an affordable disaster recovery
solution. And to squeeze every bit of performance out of the configuration, you
can use VMDirectPath to present the HBA to your storage VM (just remember to
add another card to boot ESXi or store a VMFS volume for vmx and swap files.

Erik