On Mar 20, 2011, at 3:02 PM, Ian Collins wrote:

> On 03/20/11 08:57 PM, Ian Collins wrote:
>> Has anyone seen a resilver longer than this for a 500G drive in a riadz2
>> vdev?
>>
>> scrub: resilver completed after 169h25m with 0 errors on Sun Mar 20 19:57:37
>> 2011
>>              c0t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0  769G resilvered
>>
> I didn't intend to start an argument, I was just very surprised the resilver
> took so long.

I'd describe the thread as critical analysis, not argument. There are many
facets of ZFS
resilver and scrub that many people have never experienced, so it makes sense to
explore the issue.

Expect ZFS resilvers to take longer in the future for HDDs.
Expect ZFS resilvers to remain quite fast for SSDs.
Why? Because HDDs are getting bigger, but not faster, while SSDs are getting
bigger and faster.

I've done a number of studies of this and have a lot of data to describe what
happens. I also
work through performance analysis of resilver cases for my ZFS tutorials.

> This box is backup staging server (Solaris 10u8), so it does receive a lot of
> data.  However it has lost a number of drives in the past and the resilver
> took around 100 hours hence my surprise.

We've thought about how to provide some sort of feedback on the progress of
resilvers.
It is relatively simple to know what has already been resilvered and how much
throttling is currently active. But that info does not make future predictions
more accurate.
 -- richard