On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Richard Elling
<richard.ell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2011, at 3:02 PM, Ian Collins wrote:
>
>> On 03/20/11 08:57 PM, Ian Collins wrote:
>>> Has anyone seen a resilver longer than this for a 500G drive in a riadz2
>>> vdev?
>>>
>>> scrub: resilver completed after 169h25m with 0 errors on Sun Mar 20
>>> 19:57:37 2011
>>>              c0t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0  769G resilvered
>>>
>> I didn't intend to start an argument, I was just very surprised the resilver
>> took so long.
>
> I'd describe the thread as critical analysis, not argument. There are many
> facets of ZFS
> resilver and scrub that many people have never experienced, so it makes sense
> explore the issue.
>
> Expect ZFS resilvers to take longer in the future for HDDs.
> Expect ZFS resilvers to remain quite fast for SSDs.
> Why? Because HDDs are getting bigger, but not faster, while SSDs are getting
> bigger and faster.

    Is resilver time related to the amount of data (TBs) or the number
of objects (file + directory counts) ? I have seen zpools with lots of
data in very few files resilver quickly while smaller pools with lots
of tiny files take much longer (no hard data here, just recollection
of how long things took).

--
Paul Kraus