On Mar 21, 2011, at 5:09 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

>> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
>> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Richard Elling
>>
>> How many times do we have to rehash this? The speed of resilver is
>> dependent on the amount of data, the distribution of data on the
> resilvering
>> device, speed of the resilvering device, and the throttle. It is NOT
> dependent
>> on the number of drives in the vdev.
>
> What the heck?  Yes it is.  Indirectly.  When you say it depends on the
> amount of data, speed of resilvering device, etc, what you really mean
> (correctly) is that it depends on the total number of used blocks that must
> be resilvered on the resilvering device, multiplied by the access time for
> the resilvering device.  And of course, throttling and usage during resilver
> can have a big impact.  And various other factors.  But the controllable big
> factor is the number of blocks used in the degraded vdev.

There is no direct correlation between the number of blocks and resilver time.

> So here is how the number of devices in the vdev matter:
>
> If you have your whole pool made of one vdev, then every block in the pool
> will be on the resilvering device.  You must spend time resilvering every
> single block in the whole pool.
>
> If you have the same amount of data, on a pool broken into N smaller vdev's,
> then approximately speaking, 1/N of the blocks in the pool must be
> resilvered on the resilvering vdev.  And therefore the resilver goes
> approximately N times faster.

Nope. The resilver time is dependent on the speed of the resilvering disk.

> So if you assume the size of the pool or the number of total disks is a
> given, determined by outside constraints and design requirements, and then
> you faced the decision of how to architect the vdev's in your pool, then
> Yes.  The number of devices in a vdev do dramatically impact the resilver
> time.  Only because the number of blocks written in each vdev depend on
> these decisions you made earlier.

I do not think it is wise to set the vdev configuration based on a model for
resilver time. Choose the configuration to get the best data protection.
 -- richard