Hiya,

I am just in the planning stages for my ZFS Home Media Server build at the
moment (to replace WHS v1).

I plan to use 2x motherboard ports and 2x Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8 port SATA
cards to give 17* drive connections; 2 disks (120GB SATA 2.5") will be used for
the ZFS install using the motherboard ports and the remaing 15 disks (1TB SATA)
will be used for data using the 2x 8 port cards.

* = the total number of ports is 18 but I only have enough space in the chassis
for 17 drives (2x 2.5" in 1x 3.5" bay and 15x 3.5" by using 5-in-3 hotswop
caddies in 9x 5.1/4" bays).

All disks are 5400RPM to keep power requirements down.

The ZFS install will be mirrored, but I am not sure how to configure the 15
data disks from a performance (inc. resilvering) vs protection vs usable space
perspective;

3x 5 disk raid-z. 3 disk failures in the right scenario, 12TB storage
2x 7 disk raid-z + hot spare. 2 disk failures in the right scenario, 12TB
storage
1x 15 disk raid-z2. 2 disk failures, 13TB storage
2x 7 disk raid-z2 + hot spare. 4 disk failures in the right scenario, 10TB
storage

Without having a mash of different raid-z* levels I can't think of any other
options.

I am leaning towards the first option as it gives seperation between all the
disks; I would have seperate Movie folders on each of them while having
critical data (pictures, home videos, documents etc) stored on each set of
raid-z.

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks