> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Lanky Doodle
>
> In that case what 'option' would you choose - smaller raid-z vdevs or
larger
> raid-z2 vdevs.

The more redundant disks you have, the more protection you get, and the
smaller available disk space.  So that's entirely up to you.

> When 4-5TB
> drives come to market 2-3TB drives will drop in price so I could always
> upgrade them - can you do this with raid-z vdevs, in terms of autoexand?

Yup.  But you won't see any increase until you replace all the drives in the
vdev.

> There might be the odd deletion here and there if a movie is truly turd,
but
> as you say 99% of the time it will be written and left.

That won't matter.  The thing that matters is ...  File fragmentation.

For example, if you run bit torrent directly onto the file server, then
you're going to get terrible performance for everything because bittorrent
grabs tiny little fragments all over the place in essentially random order.
But if you rip directly from disc to a file, then it'll be fine because it's
all serialized.  Or use bittorrent onto your laptop and then copy the file
all at once to the server.

The thing that's bad for performance, especially on raidz, is when you're
performing lots of small random operations.  And when you come back to a
large file making small random modifications after it has already been
written and snapshotted...