> This is a bit OT, but can you have one vdev that is a duplicate
> of another vdev? By that I mean say you had 2x 7 disk raid-z2
> vdevs, instead of them both being used in one large pool could
> you have one that is a backup of the other, allowing you to
> destroy one of them and re-build without data loss?

At least two ways I can think of: maybe you can make a mirror
of raidz top-level vdevs, or simply use regular zfs send/recv syncs.
This may possibly solve some of fragmentation troubles by
regrouping blocks during send/recv - but I asked about this
recently on the list and did not get a definite answer.

//Jim