That's how I understood autoexpand, about not doing so until all disks have
been done.

I do indeed rip from disc rather than grab torrents - to VIDEO_TS folders and
not ISO - on my laptop then copy the whole folder up to WHS in one go. So while
they're not one large single file, they are lots of small .vob files, but being
written in one hit.

This is a bit OT, but can you have one vdev that is a duplicate of another
vdev? By that I mean say you had 2x 7 disk raid-z2 vdevs, instead of them both
being used in one large pool could you have one that is a backup of the other,
allowing you to destroy one of them and re-build without data loss?