Thanks martysch.

That is what I meant about adding disks to vdevs - not adding disks to vdevs
but adding vdevs to pools.

If the geometry of the vdevs should ideally be the same, it would make sense to
buy one more disk now and have a 7 disk raid-z2 to start with, then buy disks
as and when and create a further 7 disk raid-z2 leaving the 15th disk as a hot
spare. Would 'only' give 10TB usable though.

The only thing though I seem to remember reading that adding vdevs to pools way
after the creation of the pool and data had been written to it, that things
aren't spread evenly - is that right? So it might actually make sense to buy
all the disks now and start fresh with the final build.

Starting with only 6 disks would leave growth for another 6 disk raid-z2 (to
keep matching geometry) leaving 3 disks spare which is not ideal.