On 11/10/2011 06:38 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Savit

Also, not a good idea for
performance to partition the disks as you suggest.
Not totally true.  By default, if you partition the disks, then the disk write
cache gets disabled.  But it's trivial to simply force enable it thus solving
the problem.

Granted - I just didn't want to get into a long story. With a self-described 'newbie' building a storage server I felt the best advice is to keep as simple as possible without adding steps (and without adding exposition about cache on partitioned disks - but now that you brought it up, yes, he can certainly do that).

Besides, there's always a way to fill up the 1TB disks :-) Besides the OS image, it could also store gold images for the guest virtual machines, maintained separately from the operational images.

regards, Jeff

--

*Jeff Savit* | Principal Sales Consultant
Phone: 602.824.6275 | Email: jeff.sa...@oracle.com | Blog: http://blogs.oracle.com/jsavit