On 11/11/2011 01:02 AM, darkblue wrote:

2011/11/11 Jeff Savit <jeff.sa...@oracle.com <mailto:jeff.sa...@oracle.com>>

    On 11/10/2011 06:38 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
    From:zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
<mailto:zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org>  [mailto:zfs-discuss-
    boun...@opensolaris.org  <mailto:boun...@opensolaris.org>] On Behalf Of
Jeff Savit

    Also, not a good idea for
    performance to partition the disks as you suggest.
    Not totally true.  By default, if you partition the disks, then the disk
write cache gets disabled.  But it's trivial to simply force enable it thus
solving the problem.

    Granted - I just didn't want to get into a long story. With a
    self-described 'newbie' building a storage server I felt the best
    advice is to keep as simple as possible without adding steps (and
    without adding exposition about cache on partitioned disks - but
    now that you brought it up, yes, he can certainly do that).

    Besides, there's always a way to fill up the 1TB disks :-) Besides
    the OS image, it could also store gold images for the guest
    virtual machines, maintained separately from the operational images.

how big of the solaris os'partition do you suggest?
That's one of the best things about ZFS and *not* putting separate pools on the same disk - you don't have to worry about sizing partitions. Use two of the rotating disks to install Solaris on a mirrored root pool (rpool). The OS build will take up a small portion of the 1TB usable data (and you don't want to go above 80% full so it's really 800GB effectively). You can use the remaining space in that pool for additional ZFS datasets to hold golden OS images, iTunes, backups, whatever. Or simply not worry about it and let there be unused space. Disk space is relatively cheap - complexity and effort are not. For all we know, the disk space you're buying is more than ample for the application and it might not even be worth devising the most space-efficient layout. If that's not the case, then the next topic would be how to stretch capacity via clones, compression, and RAIDZn.

Along with several others posting here, I recommend you use Solaris 11 rather than Solaris 10. A lot of things are much easier, such as managing boot environments and sharing file systems via NFS, CIFS, iSCSI, and there's a lot of added functionality. I further (and strongly) endorse the suggestion of using a system from Oracle with supported OS and hardware, but I don't want to get into any arguments about hardware or licensing please.

regards, Jeff