On 11/11/11 02:42 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of darkblue

1 * XEON 5606
1 * supermirco X8DT3-LN4F
6 * 4G RECC RAM
22 * WD RE3 1T harddisk
4 * intel 320 (160G) SSD
1 * supermicro 846E1-900B chassis
I just want to say, this isn't supported hardware, and although many people
will say they do this without problem, I've heard just as many people
(including myself) saying it's unstable that way.

I've never had issues with Supermicro boards. I'm using a similar model and everything on the board is supported.
I recommend buying either the oracle hardware or the nexenta on whatever they
recommend for hardware.

Definitely DO NOT run the free version of solaris without updates and expect it
to be reliable.

That's a bit strong. Yes I do regularly update my supported (Oracle) systems, but I've never had problems with my own build Solaris Express systems.

I waste far more time on (now luckily legacy) fully supported Solaris 10 boxes!

--
Ian.