Jim, as one hammer to another, you have hit the nail right on the head: these
words have "baggage" that we have to be wary of. I don't think any of us here are
really disagreeing with each  other in substance (to use another word full of
ancient baggage), but only in semantics.

Jim Cobabe wrote:

> John W. Redelfs wrote:
> ---
> The idea that he made all the laws included those by which he progressed
> to become a God is a Protestant idea.  It is akin to creating something
> from nothing, which of course is impossible even for God.
> ---
>
> One of the problems we encounter in discussing such ideas is the inertia
> of a massive Catholic and Protestant lexicon, which intrudes everywhere
> with false ideas and distortions of the truth.  The "omni" words are
> overburdened in this sense, and it would probably simplify things if we
> just abandoned them and coined our own "ideosyncratic" terms with our
> own unique definitions.
>
> Joseph Smith's teachings clearly indicate that our spirits were
> coeternal with God, from before the beginning of time, but that God
> instituted the laws in the premortal world which constitute for us the
> plan of salvation.  These are the natural laws to which I make
> reference.
>
> "God himself," the Prophet says, "finding he was in the midst of spirits
> and glory, because he was more intelligent, saw proper to institute laws
> whereby the rest could have a privilege to advance like himself. The
> relationship we have with God places us in a situation to advance in
> knowledge. He has power to institute laws to instruct the weaker
> intelligences, that they may be exalted with himself, so that they might
> have one glory upon another, and all that knowledge, powers, glory, and
> intelligence, which is requisite in order to save them in the world of
> spirits." (Teachings, p. 354.)
>
> Thus the plan of salvation (of redemption, and of exaltation) comprises
> all of the laws, ordinances, principles, and doctrines by conformity to
> which the spirit offspring of God have power to progress to the high
> state of exaltation enjoyed by the Father.
>  (Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 2d ed. [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft,
> 1966], 575.)
>
> He comprehendeth all things, and all things are before him, and all
> things are round about him; and he is above all things, and in all
> things, and is through all things, and is round about all things; and
> all things are by him, and of him, even God, forever and ever.
>
> And again, verily I say unto you, he hath given a law unto all things,
> by which they move in their times and their seasons;(D&C 88:41-42)
>
> ---
> Mij Ebaboc

Marc A. Schindler

“Knowledge may give weight, but accomplishments give lustre, and many more people
see than weigh.” – Lord Chesterfield