> Gilberto:
> Yes, exactly. Many religions prosyletize. But the Bahais give the
> impression of prosyletizing, but not admitting that they are
> prosyletizing.

 . . .

> And looking at the Bahais by themselves it might be possible to say
> that there is just some isolated misunderstanding. But then when I
> think of other communities which try to spread their message, they
> certainly admit candidly to trying to spread their message.
>
> It's the Bahahis which stand out as doing something which they say
> they don't do.
>
> Maybe it is a "word" issue. When I first got on this group, it was
> interesting to read that in the Ruhi classes people were discouraged
> from using dictionaries. But it still gives an impression of
> dishonesty.

I agree that it gives the impression of dishonesty; however, as I stated I
think that the problem is the lack of volcabulary understanding among some
of the Baha'is.  I think someone just made the statement that Baha'is don't
prostelytize & I got repeated over and over, without somone stopping to look
up the dictionary meaning.  I think that Mark's analogy with the idea of
"compulsion in religion" is a good one.

I, like our dear brother Kazeh, urge you to judge the Faith on the
authoratative statements of Baha'u'llah, Abdu'l-Baha, Shoghi Effendi, & the
House of Justice rather than on the words and interpretations of individual
Baha'is.  This includes a statement I remember you quoting in a previous
post from Promulgation of Universal Peace.  Please note that the statement
you quoted is not necessarily authoratative because that book is not written
or reviewed by Abdu'l-Baha, but rather it was notes that individual people
took of the talks and may have been shaded by their understandings of what
was said.

> > Also, touching on another aspect of this thread, please note that (at
least)
> > from a Baha'i viewpoint it's a totally different thing for a
Manifestation
> > of God (i.e. Mohammad, the Bab, or Baha'u'llah) to threaten "hellfire"
than
> > it is for a human.
>
> But I think that most religions would make the same distinction. e.g.
> "I'm not telling you you are goin' to hell. God is telling you your're
> goin' to hell. Unless you change your ways. It says right here in the
> Bible."

Yes, most religions would probably make the same distinction.  But, in my
opinion a Baha'i who is being true to Baha'ullah's teachings would never say
that, because in effect by saying "God is telling you you're goin' to hell"
one is making a judgment that no individual human has the right to make.