On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:48:52 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In a message dated 12/22/2004 7:07:07 AM Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 03:39:01 -0600, Mark A. Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > My understanding is that Shoghi Effendi's references to proselytization
> (conversion) are similar to the qur'anic prohibition on "compulsion in
> religion." In other words, he did not want Baha'is to use threats or
> pressure to entice someone to convert.

> Fair enough. I'm not taking an issue with the policy as practiced but
> how it is described. If Bahais, in principle, have essentially  the
> same policy as Muslims. What does it mean that Bahais say "We don't
> prosyletize" but Muslims don't make the same denial?

> Would it not be better to say it in Baha`i terms for understanding:
> Baha`is say: Don't compell people to accept a particular religion, but
> muslims don't make the same denial?
> Well, of course muslims make the same denial.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. If when Bahais say "we don't
proselytize" they mean the same thing which is in the Quran "there is
no compulsion in religion" then they should say "Both Islam and the
Bahai faith are opposed to proselytizing". But when Bahais say "We
don't proselytize" it certainly gives the impression of an absolute
statement,. that they are claiming not to proselytize at all while
other religions do. If Bahais said "We actually do proselytize but we
are really really nice about it" I think that's
actually true and would be more honest, even if it doesn't sound as
impressive as the idea of not proselytizing at all.