In a message dated 12/22/2004 10:52:20 AM Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
If that's the case, then the Bahais should say "We believe in certain
distinctions between the roles of men and women and we believe that
wisdom behind these rules will be apparent at some point in the
distant future.". To just say "we believe in absolute gender equality"
and leave it at that seems dishonest.
You know Gilberto, I cannot think of a single place that promotes absolute gender equality in the writings. The writings affirm that both man and woman are equal in the sight of God. The writings say over and over that genders have different capacities and different responsibilities. No matter how much one speaks of gender equality a man cannot bear a child. Baha`u'llah says that if a father has money ONLY to educate ONE of his two children he should educate the female,because she will be the first educator of her own children. is this absolute gender equality? No. It is recognition of the special capacities and responsibilities of the female.

yet even with these disparate capacities God views both the man and the woman as equal in His sight.

So the term "absolute gender equality" is contrary to the Baha`i Writings. If individuals try to use that term in teaching it is their own error and not the error of Baha`u'llah, Abdu'l Baha, Shoghi Effendi or the institutions of the faith.

One should not blame Muhammed because some of His followers propose that one should go against Muhammed's clear intent in the name of Muhammed's religion. neither should one blame the faith for the mistakes of SOME of its followers.

Regards,

Scott