On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:50:07 -0600, Mark A. Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, Gilberto,
>
> Sorry, I accidentally sent that message before it was completed.

It's alright.

> At 10:07 AM 12/29/2004, you wrote:
> >>What is the basis for the acceptance of Islam and Christianity?<<
>
> The basis for the acceptance of which version of Islam or Christianity, and
> by whom?

You had said the Jewish Renewal movement accepted Islam and
Christianity as legitimate paths. I was wondering if that acceptance
was done on the basis of them being Noachides.

> >> I've read some things about the concept of Noachides in Judaism ....<<
>
> With few exceptions, modern Noachides are non-Jewish members of the
> Lubavicher Chasidim (Chabad), an aggressive, missionary branch of Orthodox
> Judaism.

Sure. But virtually all the Noachide commandments are also
specifically part of Islamic law (even the minimal dietary code when
it comes to blood). The only possible exception I can think of is that
somehow Noachides are supposed to study and uphold the Torah which
Muslims could probably do theoretically but in practice most Muslims
would take exception to the current Penteteuch.

Mark:
 The official view of the Lubavichers is that non-Jews are responsible
for conforming to the Noachide laws. The Lubavichers have, therefore,
set up an organization intended to promote this principle:

Gilberto:
I actually think it makes alot of sense as a way of reading the Bible.
After the flood, there actually *is* a covenant set up with Noah and
all his descendants (i.e. all human beings on the earth today...
assuming a literal reading). The sign was the rainbow. On God's side
he promises not to destroy the world by flood, but on man's side we
aren't supposed to do certain things. I'm not sure if I would insist
that all 7 commandments are actually found in that particular passage
of the Bible, but a bunch of them are pretty plausible.

> http://www.noahide.com/
>
> http://www.noahide.com/rebbe.htm
>
> I have visited the local Chabad House of Kansas City. It is located in the
> bedroom community of Overland Park, where I work:
>
> http://www.chabadkc.org/
>
> >>... and it seems to me that in essence Muslims would keep all the Noachide
> >>commandments (and the one questionable point would possibly be the attitude
> >>towards the Torah which Jews accept). I think it is less clear in the case
> >>of Christians but they are also in the same ballpark. Is that it or is
> >>there a different argument?<<
>
> It depends on the branch of Christianity. The Acts 28 Dispensationalists and
> Mid-Acts Dispensationalists would not care about the Noachide laws. However,
> the Assemblies of Yahweh (Bethel, Pennsylvania) and some (especially
> non-evangelical) branches of the Hebrew Christian movement would observe them.

Gilberto:
When you say "Hebrew Christian" is that a very specific movement you
have in mind or is that more of a catch-all for the many churches who
to varying degrees believe in the continuing validity of the Jewish
Law?