On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:53:26 -0600, Mark A. Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, Gilberto,
>
> At 07:20 AM 12/28/2004, you wrote:
> >>I'm not sure where you started though. I was raised evangelical Christian.
> >>So the idea of People of the Book was already rathet inclusive from my
> >>perspective. But at the same time, I didn't necessarily believe that every
> >>new age syncretic religion was going to be true.<<
>
> I was raised in a secular Jewish home, and I was not attracted to Judaism and
> Islam for similar reasons. However, had the more universal, syncretist, and
> "new age," Jewish Renewal movement (aleph.org) existed back in the late 1960s
> or early 1970s, I might have gotten involved with it (at least for a while).
>
> For instance, there is a professor where I work who is connected with the
> Jewish Renewal movement. She tells me there are some people who consider
> Christianity and Islam to be legitimate "paths," a perspective which would
> have been irresistible to me at 11, 12, or 13 years old. (I could even see
> myself having eventually joined their rabbinical program.) However much I
> like Aleph, I suppose I am grateful I became a Baha'i before it started.

What is the basis for the acceptance of Islam and Christianity? I've
read some things about the concept of Noachides in Judaism and it
seems to me that in essence Muslims would keep all the Noachide
commandments (and the one questionable point would possibly be the
attitude towards the Torah which Jews accept). I think it is less
clear in the case of Christians but they are also in the same
ballpark. Is that it or is there a different argument?

"