On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:32:21 -0800 (PST), JS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> G:  I guess there might be a question of what kind of knowledge and what
> kind of intellect is more important, And what kind of knowledge is
> related to spirituality.

> J:  I would say that religion is necessary for the advancement of material
> civilization, spiritual civilization, as well as the progress of the
> individual.

It depends on how you mean. The growth of material civilization should
certainly be guided by spiritual principles. Advances in technology
(communications, the internet, industrialization, cloning,
reproductive technology, etc.) should certainly be guided by moral and
ethical considerations.  And what you are saying, fine.

Let me just say it this way. I get the impression that some Bahais
think Western technological and material advances show some kind of
Western spiritual superiority over the Muslim world. Is that what you
are saying? If not, then we are fine. If so, then I think you are
mistaken.

[Regarding the Quranic verse "Shall they who have knowledge and they
who have it not, be treated alike?"]

Gilberto:
> I'm not convinced that
> the primary meaning is that countries with microwave ovens and cell
> phones are supposed to be spiritually more advanced than the countries
> which don't.

> J:  Just because one is spiritual does not mean that one should through away
> the material.

Gilberto:
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying to throw away technology and live
in a cave somewhere. (or at least if I were going to say that I would
probably do it in a hand-written letter instead of on an e-mail list)
I'm just saying that technological advances are one thing, spiritual
advances are another. And one doesn't prove the other. And I would add
that they probably tend to be in a kind of tension rather than going
up and down together because there are only so many hours in a day.
And so a society where large numbers of people spend time working in
labs, doing calculations, programming computers, etc. would tend to
leave less time for praying, meditation, acts of charity, etc. And
vice versa.

> [Regarding China]
[And whether when the Prophet said "Seek knowledge even unto China"
should that be a special endorsement of technology  or does it mean
spiritual knowledge. And the argument was that it meant technology
because the Chinese are a bunch of pagans and so obviously their
religion wasn't intended]

> Gilberto: I actually wouldn't say that.
>
> J: Muslims in Iran do say that.  Understood, you don't agree with them.

 There are actually a whole lot of Chinese Muslims and alot of them
didn't just reject the previous Chinese religions (Taoism,
Confucianism, Buddhism) by just dismissing them outright. There was
alot more engagement. There is a book called "The Tao of Islam" which
touches on this. There are alot of examples in Islam about how certain
things can be thought of as coming out the interplay between apparent
opposites. The right and left hand of God, The jamal and jalal. The
tablet and the pen. male and female. heaven and earth. There are
interesting ways of relating yin-and-yang to Islamic philsophy.

Then there is also a book called "Chinese Gleams of Sufi Light" which
contains translations of Chinese Muslim writings and talks about the
history of Islam and China. Another book is called Sufism and Taoism.

It just makes sense that *some* prophets were sent to China and that
some aspect of their teachings could have survived in the form of
their contemporary religions. Personally, I've been wondering whether
the I Ching might be an actual scripture.