Moving board to bcc.  Mixing public and private mailing lists is not a
good idea.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 12:48 PM Andrew Musselman <a...@apache.org> wrote:

> Copying them now.
>
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 9:46 AM me <m...@emangini.com> wrote:
>
> > @Andrew,
> >
> > How do we engage the board?
> >

> > Ed Mangini
> > m...@emangini.com
> >

> > From: Andrew Musselman <a...@apache.org>
> > Reply: dev@community.apache.org <dev@community.apache.org>
> > Date: April 29, 2022 at 12:44:28
> > To: dev@community.apache.org <dev@community.apache.org>
> > Subject:  Re: It’s time to change the name
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 8:28 AM me <m...@emangini.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Andrew,
> > >
> > > I agree that putting it to a member vote is possibly polarizing (and
> > > premature). That’s not really the intent here. A poll is a dipstick
> > effort
> > > to check the temperature before we reach strategy and tactics. Polling
> > is
> > > more about discovery.
> > >

> > I think you'll get a similar reaction from a poll.

I personally think a poll is premature.  At the moment, you don't have
a proposed name, scope, or size of effort.  Without a definition, it
isn't clear what people will be expressing support for (or against).
It is OK to leave some parts TBD for a poll, but for a poll to be
useful there needs to be some substance.

> > > I’m all for the outreach. For my own clarification, are you looking at
> > > this as a means of defining boundaries on the effort, setting urgency
> > on
> > > the efforts (or some combination of both?)
> > >

> > I think this is such an expansive and encompassing topic that covers
> > almost
> > every aspect of the operations of the foundation that it might be smart
> > for
> > the board to have a look and build up a plan before doing any ad hoc
> > outreach.
> >
> > Is this something you’re willing to do or kick off?
> > >

> > I personally don't have bandwidth to participate in activities on this,
> > no.
> >

> > > Is there any reason why we can’t move forward with both a poll and
> > > outreach?
> > >

> > Again I think this is a board decision but I am not a lawyer.

Board decision will come much later.  Meanwhile, many board members
watch this list.

- Sam Ruby