There's been some discussion about this on the linuxham list. If you buy a
small USB hub, a USB-serial adapter and a small USB audio codec, you could pack
them into a box with a single USB-B jack on one side for the computer, and a
DIN, DB9 or whatever else you have laying around on the other side for the
radio.

I don't know about the availability or price of these components in NZ, but in
the US you can get it all from geeks.com for under $20.

-Joe, N8FQ