--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Roger J. Buffington"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My dear fellow, I once owned an SCS PTC-II.  Very few American hams
ever
> bought one--they never sold well here.

Quite the contrary, many american hams own a PTC-II modem, also there
are more PACTOR PMBOs in USA than the rest of the World right now my
friend.

Check the Winlink maps and you will see how popular Winlink is in USA,
and this also gives you a great advantage for your homeland security,
but you want to through it away. Are you frightened that every PACTOR
modem owner would be using it every minute of the day for their
Internet connection? Well this system is only used by people who are
far away from home and of course during emergency tests and real
emergencies. That is why you do not hear them 24/7/365 using the
system. When anyone has Internet access they will not use
Winlink-2000, infact they are being discouraged from doing that.

> A purely meaningless statement, my friend.  I have simply pointed out,
> as have others, that Winlink and Pactor stations do not listen before
> transmitting, unlike essentially the entire rest of the amateur
> community.  Since the Winlink/Pactor people acknowledge the truth of
> this point,

Well we have said that many times, Winlink-2000 clients ALWAYS listen
before transmission, and PMBOs never talk to other PMBOs like other
automatic systems do, just because Winlink-2000 PACTOR PMBOS are
semi-automatic. If the hidden transmitter syndrome exists in some
cases, the file transfer that they will do is very fast because they
use PACTOR 3 and very soon the frequency will be clear again. Not a
big problem. Other system sit there for hours making MAIL FORWARDING
but you never complain about them. Other send LONG BEACONS without
listening first but you have never complained. Others think that they
own the frequency and they never care if there is another QSO, but you
have never complained either.

So really it is that you are after PACTOR 3, nothing else.

> I would hardly call it "propaganda."  Now, your
> characterization of this as "The Great Global Amateur Communications
> System" or something like that might be rightfully characterized as
> propaganda by some.
>
> But not by me, Demetre, not by me.

Well show me another Worldwide Amateur Communication system that
exists today OM. If the word "Great" makes you angry, I can stop using
it, although it is a Great system really.

> de Roger W6VZV

73 de Demetre SV1UY