--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Do you really know if Pactor was licensed to others? If SCS actually
> fully licensed the mode, it would seem to me that they would insure
that
> the memory ARQ would have been included. Only the SCS modems seemed to
> have this feature. That is why they worked better between SCS modems
> than between other manufacturers products, even between the SCS modem
> and other manufacturers.

Hi Rick,

Well my old KAM Controller with it's addon PCB for supporting PACTOR 1
definatelly has Memory ARQ. Memory ARQ is a must for PACTOR protocol.
There is no PACTOR without memory ARQ.

That is the main reason why PACTOR is a QRP mode!!! Especially with
PACTOR 2 people have managed to access a mailbox in Germany from a
mobile station in Australia on 20 meters, a short mobile aerial and
only 16 mWatts of power. Some QRM they would cause to the other
spectrum users! hi hi hi!!!

As for licensing yes it was licensed. I do not think that any serious
american company does reverse engineering.

> For quite some time my main software/hardware mix was an AEA CP-1 with
> BMKMulti. Crude by today's standards but worked well for RTTY, CW,
AMTOR.

> Instead of upgrading when he added Pactor, I unfortunately sold all my
> digital equipment to buy the HAL P-38 modem which turned out to be a
> complete disaster. The HAL P mode (an attempt to simulate the Pactor
> mode) was pathetic with dropping what appeared to be a solid link, etc.
> They tried many software updates, but nothing improved.

Pity you sold it because BMKmulti performs as good as an SCS Modem in
PACTOR 1 Rick.

> Clover II, which was a nice mode, could not work deep into the noise
and
> so was very limited. Even when I used to try and chat with Ray Petit,
> W7GHM, the inventor of CCW, Clover and Clover II, with marginal link
> conditions, Clover II would rarely work well. If we had had PSK31,
> MFSK16, FAE400, etc. like we do today, our chats would have been
fine as
> signals were clearly copyable by ear.

Well as you see in todays modes, nothing comes close to PACTOR-2 never
mind PACTOR-3's performance. Not even the military modes because with
a little noise they lose the link. They cannot be FAST and ROBUST like
PACTOR-3. The military ones also need more than 3 KHZ bandwidth.

Only perhaps PSKmail and FLARQ HF Radio e-mail Systems are getting
there slowly, but their speed leaves a lot to be desired. The best
they can do at the moment is perhaps 200 bps using PSK-250, which is
the same as PACTOR-1, whereus PACTOR-2 can go up to 800 bps and more
with realtime compression. I wouldn't even dare comparing PSKmail's
PSK250 with PACTOR-3! Their next step would be PSK-500?? if there is
such a beast. Also there is still no memory ARQ built in these
systems, unless if this has changed by now.

Anyway PSKmail has quite a few followers in USA and I hope it will
have more because it is a soundcard mode and anyone can get on it very
easily.

That will not keep the anti semi-automatic guys happy, but such is
life I'm afraid.

This is one more reason for everybody to complain against RM-11392
petition to your FCC. Unless if you want to go back to the Medieval
Times for Digital communications in the Ham bands.

> 73,
>
> Rick, KV9U

73 de Demetre SV1UY