Demetre SV1UY wrote:

>  Quite the contrary, many american hams own a PTC-II modem, also there
>  are more PACTOR PMBOs in USA than the rest of the World right now my
>  friend.

To paraphrase Bill Clinton, it depends on one's use of the word "many."
In fact, a vanishingly small percentage of either American or European
digital operators ever bought SCS modems, due to their high cost.  That
was the problem -- it was very difficult to have a Pactor2
Keyboard-to-Keyboard (KtoK) QSO because so few ops had an SCS modem--and
SCS modems were the ONLY TNCs that could support Pactor 2.  For reasons
I am not conversant with, no other manufacturer was ever able to license
Pactor from SCS.  Some tried to reverse-engineer Pactor, with some
success with Pactor 1, but no success of which I am aware with Pactor 2.
(The HAL attempts to implement "P-Mode" were a failure, it appeared to
me.)  This further diminished Pactor's popularity to the point where
KtoK use of Pactor is as extinct as the Dodo bird in North America at
least.  I cannot speak for Europe because propagation being what it is
these days I can rarely hear or work Europe.  When you tell me that
Pactor is more common in Europe, I cannot contradict you for this
reason.  If true, a logical explanation is the fact that SCS is based in
Europe and Pactor originated there.  Or am I wrong, Demetre?

It became impossible to convince anyone (other than mailbox operators)
to get an SCS TNC once the sound card modes appeared on the scene, more
or less invented by Peter Martinez, one of ham radio's Greats.  Since
probably all hams had access to a computer, the need for a $500+ TNC
vanished since hams had access to a plethora of digital modes merely by
interfacing one's radio to the computer.  Once I switched over from
Pactor to the sound card modes, I discovered that all of my old Pactor
buddies had done the same, and Pactor was simply dead except for mailboxes.

There may be a lot of American MBOs, as you say.  This illustrates the
need for all of us to support Mark's fine petition -- to get control of
this legion of unattended source of QRM for the benefit and betterment
of our hobby and the advancement of the radio art.

Despite my support for Mark's fine petition, I suspect that the
mailboxes will fade away pretty soon anyway, as boaters and RVers get
access to the internet through satellite and Wi Fi rather than the
horribly inefficient Winlink system.  Heck, you can get internet access
via Wi Fi in coffeeshops and Starbucks these days.  They are adding Wi
Fi capability to boat harbors here in California.  This trend will
likely spell the end to Winlink.  And Pactor.

de Roger W6VZV