I have attempted to ignore what matters only to those under the FCC
jurisdiction. Seems that this anti-Winlink regurgitation is an
unavoidable evil...

Going to the facts: Kantronics did not implement memory ARQ for Pactor
in their early KAM's. So, they were inferior to the real stuff, the SCS
Z-80 Pactor Controller.

PacComm sold a Pactor controller, but they had marginal profits in
general, as they did not offsource the production of their units, as AEA
did.

Jose, CO2JA

---

Demetre SV1UY wrote:
> --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Roger J. Buffington"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Demetre SV1UY wrote:
>>
>>>  Well,
>>>
>>>  I have a KAM controller with PACTOR 1. I bet you have not even seen
>>>  one.
>> You know, Demetre, I am getting tired of remarks like that from you.  I
>> have attempted to reply to your posts with courtesy, but you seem bent
>> upon returning courtesy with bad manners.  Please stop that.
>> In actual fact, I **own** a KAM unit.  Used it for GTOR.  It was
>> horrible for Pactor 1 in my opinion; quite inferior to my old PK232 (my
>> first TNC) and in no way comparable to the SCS PTC-II which I also used
>> to own.  GTOR was very unreliable, and is utterly dead and gone.
>>
>> Someone else on this forum has corrected my statement that the KAM
> units
>> lacked memory-arq.  OK, fine.  My experience with the unit, as I
>> mentioned above, was that they were buggy and did not do well for
> Pactor.
>>>  As for reverse engineering, I do not know about that, but if they did
>>>  that, this is one more reason for the failure of their product. I
>>>  know that SCS did license PACTOR 1 though
>> Actually, the only outfit they licensed it to was one American company
>> the name of which escapes me.  They were not a business success, and I
>> think they were actually just selling re-labelled SCS modems rather
> than
>> different modems using licensed Pactor protocol.  I do not believe that
>> any amateur radio manufacturer ever succeeded in negotiating a straight
>> license with SCS for Pactor.  This leads to the inference that SCS
> wants
>> to sell hardware, not merely enjoy licensing fees.  I may be mistaken
>> about that, but that is not an unreasonable deduction.
>>
>> de Roger W6VZV
>>

> Sorry if I made you upset Roger, but you insist on something you do
> not know very well and always try to prove that the other guy is
> wrong. If I was a bit harsh with you it was for that reason and I did
> not mean to offend you.
>
> Happy New Year and I hope the New Year will be better for us all. I
> hope we will all be happier with the FCCs outcome whatever this maybe.
>
> You know, we can all get along without any arguments. Every mode and
> every taste has it's place in the amateur bands. There are no better
> and no worse modes. The best ones are the ones we like. So you can do
> your thing and I can do mine and as I said before, the civilized world
> is supposed to be tolerant.
>
> 73 de Demetre SV1UY
>
> P.S. enough said!!!

Participe en Universidad 2008.
11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.universidad2008.cu