--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Dave AA6YQ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would argue that the fuel for this is the irresponsible use of
Pactor III
> by Winlink in unattended PMBOs without the ability to detect whether
or not
> the frequency is locally clear - not some inherent flaw or suboptimal
> characterics. In attended operation, Pactor III is a bit challenging
in that
> one must ensure that one's modem does not dynamically  expand its
bandwidth
> to exploit improved conditions unless the full bandwidth is clear of
other
> QSOs. But as long as operators fulfill their responsibilities,
Pactor III
> should not be any more problematic than any other digital mode.
>

> 73,
>

>       Dave, AA6YQ
Hi Dave,

This is just about the 1st time you spoke rationally and we agree. Now
you are not mixing up PACTOR I/II/III with Winlink2000 and this is a
start. I would also like to let you know that PACTOR operators who
intend to operate in PACTOR III mode, start their QSO with the 2.4 KHZ
filter in their radio and they are able to hear all the passband that
PACTOR III will eventually occupy when expanded. Hence they can hear
anyone else using the frequency. If they want to use PACTOR II they
always use their 500 HZ wide filter and they still can hear if anyone
else is using the frequency in their passband. So PACTOR III operators
never interfere anyone else's QSO because they can hear them before
transmitting.

Automatic or semiautomatic Winlink2000 PMBOs and other automatic
FORWARDING and not FORWARDING HF Mailboxes, HF to VHF/UHF GATEWAYS
etc. using PACTOR/PACKET  or any other modes, work in a different way
and I am not going to go back to it because this matter has been
beaten to death already. People get sick of hearing about it all the time.

73 de Demetre SV1UY