Scott,

You're [still!] confusing multiple conceptions of trust, including at least:

1) trust in the intention and ability of multiple upstream forwarders to
ARC-sign correctly,
2) trust in the lack of intention to abuse by the organisation at the other end
of the SMTP connection, and
3) trust in the intention and ability of the organisation at the other end of
the SMTP connection to make exactly the same decision about disposition of a
particular message (in fact: of all messages) as you would.

Implicit in (3) are two additional assumptions that may or may not be true:
a) that the organisation at the other end of the SMTP connection has exactly
one level of confidence in message disposition (this is patently not true;
larger senders/forwarders routinely maintain discernibly separate pools in
order to help receivers make better choices), and
b) that you have exactly one level of confidence in message disposition (this
may well be true of you personally as it is of me, but it certainly isn't for
larger forwarders).

For larger receivers, the ability to see upstream (only possible when they
trust at least one of the upstream intermediaries to ARC sign correctly) allows
better decision-making (e.g. about DMARC overrides) than does your apparent
"the organisation at the other end of the SMTP connection is good/bad"
dichotomy. Note in particular that the ability to test ARC signatures from
forwarders upstream of the organisation at the other end of the SMTP connection
allows for DMARC overrides to happen, specifically, in the situation where the
receiver doesn't trust the organisation at the other end of the SMTP
connection. Adding ARC makes this possible more frequently than DMARC+SPF+DKIM
does.

- Roland

        Roland Turner
Labs Director
Mobile: +65 9670 0022
3 Phillip Street, #13-03 Royal Group Building, Singapore 048693

                                www.trustsphere.com