Scott Kitterman wrote:

> It would be nice if we didn't design standards that only worked at a certain
> scale.  "You must be this tall to ride" worries me.

There's nothing about ARC that is scale-specific, except for the obvious
observation that there's a batteries-not-included problem, so the analysis work
required to make good use of it as a receiver is likely to be infeasible for
smaller receivers meaning that:

- initially only larger receivers will do it, and
- if it works then, over time, vendors/developers will embed slow-moving pieces
in products and/or reputation data providers will add faster moving pieces to
their services.

This is just a diffusion process, not an exclusion of smaller players. Indeed,
it would almost appear that you'd be happier if the big guys had excluded
smaller players from this initiative...

I'd also point out that we spent most of a decade (2003 - 2011) wandering in a
highly-inclusive -all/o=-/discardable wilderness. It took the world's
most-heavily-phished organisation working directly with one of the big guys in
private to get any purchase on the problem, and their subsequent sharing of it
(DMARC) to bring about progress more broadly. It would appear that ARC is on a
similar path to improving the situation for largest unresolved piece of the
problem (supporting forwarding). This does suggest a general difficulty in
using a consensus-driven process to devise solutions, rather than merely
refine/standardise/evolve them, however this does not seem like a reason for
concern, it may simply indicate that we've gotten as far as we can get at
present with such processes. The important test when deciding whether to
cooperate would appear to be whether the particular solution unduly benefits
the big guys compared to other viable solutions that are already known about. !
 If there are none, then cooperating on ARC would appear to be a no-brainer.

> Solving the mailing list 'problem' in a way that requires me to switch to
> gmail (or some other large scale provider) to get my list mail delivered is
> worse than no solution at all for me.

Obviously. This is not being proposed, see the comments about about
vendors/developers and reputation data providers.

- Roland