On Wed 07/Jul/2021 15:19:35 +0200 Roland Turner via dmarc-discuss wrote:
On 7/7/21 4:03 pm, Alessandro Vesely via dmarc-discuss wrote:

If I outsourced my mail to google (to stick to the example) what other
providers' SPF record do I have to include?  Oh yes, John said "to several
providers".  Why does one need more than one provider, then?

A mailbox provider is only one of the service providers that an organisation might contract to send email on its behalf. Other common examples include:

  * Marketing automation (list management, sending mailouts, analytics)
  * CRMs, where sellers use the CRM itself to send messages to their customers
  * Subscription management systems that send expiry reminders
  * Helpdesk systems that send responses to user requests

There are dozens or hundreds of less common examples.

I see. I note that the examples you mention, except some kind of marketing, need to receive mail, besides sending it. Indeed, being bidirectional is a peculiar email characteristics. So, if a service can be integrated with a mail system, then it should be able to use its incoming as well as outgoing servers. Otherwise, it deserves using its own subdomain.

DKIM is a more scalable approach, but it's also harder to get right initially. (It's extremely simple once it's working, but...)

Right, with DKIM one can use a different prefix within the same domain.

Dmarcian has a good SPF compiler already.  It is somewhat unpractical, as you'd
need to copy its result to your zone file, and repeat that operation as often
as needed.  It doesn't sound awful to call it from a cron job.

This is a *vastly* higher level of technical expertise than most organisations have available for this.

Most likely, technology-impaired companies don't even host their own DNS. The DNS providers who do that for them should have an adequate level of expertise, though.

It is easier to adapt existing software to your special needs than change the
rest of the world.

The target is not limited to technical organisations who are capable of doing
this.

The list of DNS providers seems to have grown quite a bit since the last time I checked. Freeing customers from SPF pains could be an element of distinction.

Best
Ale