On 7/7/21 2:11 PM, Alessandro Vesely via dmarc-discuss wrote:
On Wed 07/Jul/2021 15:19:35 +0200 Roland Turner via dmarc-discuss wrote:
A mailbox provider is only one of the service providers that an organisation might contract to send email on its behalf. Other common examples include:

  * Marketing automation (list management, sending mailouts, analytics)
  * CRMs, where sellers use the CRM itself to send messages to their customers
  * Subscription management systems that send expiry reminders
  * Helpdesk systems that send responses to user requests

There are dozens or hundreds of less common examples.
I see.  I note that the examples you mention, except some kind of marketing, need to receive mail, besides sending it.  Indeed, being bidirectional is a peculiar email characteristics.  So, if a service can be integrated with a mail system, then it should be able to use its incoming as well as outgoing servers.  Otherwise, it deserves using its own subdomain.

Companies do not want to use subdomains in the sender addresses of any of the types of email listed above. They want to be able to use addresses in their domain, because that's what looks natural and correct to customers. Subdomains confuse customers, and companies do not want to confuse their customers.

Furthermore, the systems enumerated above do not typically use the domain's corporate outgoing servers. That's the whole point. They use their /own/ servers to send outbound emails, and that's why those emails need to be authenticated with either SPF or DKIM for them to pass the companies' DMARC policies.

You asked what the use case is. The use case was explained to you. It's not useful to come back and say, "Well, I mean, if they did things differently, then this wouldn't be an issue." They're not doing things differently, and they don't want to do things differently. It's our job to facilitate them being able to make their emails look the way they want to securely. It's not our job to tell them that they can't make their emails look the way they want to or can't employ third-party service providers to send out emails on behalf of their domains. Either of those is a non-starter.

Jonathan Kamens