On Thu, 5 Sep 2019, Ray Hunter (v6ops) wrote:

IMHO Expected behavior. Many European data protection people consider an IP(v6) address to be privacy-sensitive personal data. That will likely mean regular renumbering of IA PD by ISP's as the norm rather than the exception.

This is the first time I've seen anyone make this claim (I guess related to GDPR). I've gone through GDPR review and talked to others who have done the same, and I from a GDPR point of view there is no reason to renumber on a regular basis. From what I can tell, renumbering at some frequency makes no difference from a GDPR point of view. The addresses are privacy sensitive regardless if you change them frequently or not.

My experience is that the frequent renumbering is a local market practice that people in that market got used to. As a swedish user, I hadn't heard of this practice until I started talking about these things with people that ran/experienced ISPs in other nations. The defaults are also different.

Some markets have frequent renumbering (some even reset the PPPoE session once per day, which is a flash renumbering eevent), some never renumber unless there is a big network change (I've had the same IPv6 prefix now for a year).

The conclusion is that we need to create solutions that handle both these cases.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se