On Sep 2, 2019, at 1:47 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca> wrote:
    >         Assuming that the prefix change is make-before-break (which we
    > do not clearly know how to do on the WAN side, I think), then the web
    > server should configure with the same rfc7212 IID, but a new prefix.

To be clear, the issue of the make-before-break is on the WAN DHCPv6-PD side.
I believe that we concluded that it's possible to do in existing
specifications, but not well enough implemented at both sides (ISP/CPE)
device to depend upon.

Ray Hunter (v6ops) <v6...@globis.net> wrote:
    > Agreed.

    > Using RFC7217 will anyway almost certainly guarantee that the IID will
    > also change if the prefix changes.

    > The prefix is included in the function that generates candidate IID's.

    >   RID = F(Prefix, Net_Iface, Network_ID, DAD_Counter, secret_key)

    > That was done to prevent tracking when people move between wifi
    > hotspots.

But, a host running a web server that wants to be in the same place could
keep the same RID once generated.

]     m...@sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [