On 08/31/2012 08:09 AM, Ahmad Sofyan wrote:
Di kelas server, Linux memang diakui*). Di level desktop.. ada cukup banyak
permasalahan. Yang utama adalah kompatibilitas antara aplikasi dengan
lingkungan desktop. Paling tidak demikian menurut artikel ini.

http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2012/Aug-29.html
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/08/osx-killed-linux/

Ini ada satu pendapat dari blog-nya salah satu developer Gnome:

http://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2012/08/31/the-challenges-of-desktop-linux/

Sepertinya pendapat doi ini lebih menyeluruh, mungkin lebih masuk akal.

Poin2nya:

* We are trying to compete with a near monopoly (Windows)

* Companies tend to depend on a myriad of applications to run their business, and just a couple of them not running under Linux would be enough to derail a transition to Linux desktops

* We were competing not only with other operating systems, but with a Office productivity application monopoly

* We are trying to compete by supporting an unlimited range of hardware options

* We divided our efforts into multiple competing APIs (GNOME vs KDE)

* There was never a clear method of distributing software on Linux outside the distro specific package system.

* Many of our underlaying systems were a bit immature

* Software patents on multimedia codecs made it hard to create a good out of the box experience for multimedia

* Competing with free applications is never a tempting proposition for 3rd party vendors

* We never reached a critical mass where porting to desktop Linux tended to make sense

* An impression was created that Linux users would not pay for any software

* The different update cycles of the distributions made it hard to know when a new API would be available ‘everywhere’

* Success in other areas drained resources away from the desktop

**
All the best.
-arief